Friday, September 7, 2012

Today's Apocalypse Sign: Magical Weekend In Black And White

Twenty years ago I bought this little guy at the gift shop in the Portland, OR airport. It was a fine addition to my wizard collection and has some history. You see, it is a sculpture made out of compressed ash from the Mount St. Helens eruption in the 80's. I imagined to those in the area near the eruption it must have seemed like the apocalypse had begun.


Wizard

 


Linking to The Weekend In Black And White

19 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Made from the ash? Like holding a piece of history.
Somewhere we have a vial of ash...

Jess said...

Wow, that's really cool! If I were there when Mt. St. Helens erupted, I definitely would have thought the world was ending!

Have a great day!

Johanna Garth said...

That's so cool. Love the historical element.

Carver said...

He's fantastic. Interesting too what he was made from.

Lucy Corrander : Photos said...

Have not heard of such material being used in sculpture. He has a sad look, a looking up to keep tears inside look. Maybe that comes from his history.

HansHB said...

Very special and very good B&W post!

Nellies said...

Wow, made out of compressed ash, I had no idea that was even possible. Great black and white.
Have a great weekend.

Chuck said...

Alex: For such a small artifact it is amazingly heavy. You don't think of ash that way.

Jess: Thanks. It was the first thing I saw in the gift shop so figured I was meant to own it. Can't even imagine what it was like when it happened.

Johanna: Thanks. Yeah, I wanted a piece of that history for sure!

Carver: He is a conversation piece when we have company.

Lucy: You know I was thinking the same thing as I was photographing him. He does seem sad.

HansHB: Thanks again for visiting!

Nellies: Yep, I asked the store clerk if she had any idea how it was made (since they had several pieces of different ash art) but she really didn't know. I suspect for ash to be this compressed and heavy it would take some extreme amount of pressure. It is very cool though. Thanks!

RobertN said...

Great b&w!

AmitAag said...

awesome art...wonderfully captured!

Chuck said...

Robert: Thank you for stopping by.

Amit: As always, your words are encouraging. Thanks.

Annemor said...

In ar sordid way it's a great thing to own.
Have a nive sunday.
Mormor

http://www.starbear.no/mormor/2012/09/08/the-weekend-in-black-and-white-3/

Monica S Engell said...

Wow,- I would never have guessed that this is made of ash! Wonderful shot of the little sculpture!
Have a nice sunday!
:)

Dragonstar said...

He is a wonderful carving, and you make him a fine photo.

Chuck said...

Annemor: Thank you for stopping by.

Dragonstar: I appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Pat Tillett said...

Wow! History in a statue! that's pretty cool.

Chuck said...

Pat: It is very cool. I'll have to post a picture of the full sculpture.

Kranky Granny said...

I've seen listings of items made from ash on some online sights but never expected them to be this attractive. Great photo and a wonderful keepsake.

Taken For Granted said...

That is a very cool history in a great looking Wizard. Interesting post.

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails