Friday, September 9, 2011

Today's Apocalypse Sign: WTF

WTF!! Yeah, some people really shouldn't be parents. Duct Tape use No. 1001

That is almost all I got...WTF. I appear to be in both a creative and who-cares funk. I haven't written a really meaningful post in almost 2 months (some would say ever). I even stopped short of finishing my Fiji diary by two days. After 320 posts I have hit some kind of wall.

When I read posts every day from people who I believe are just as busy if not busier than I am, I have to stop and wonder for a moment. The drain of working long hours, lots of days,  and the oppressive heat (even though I work indoors) seems to have put me in the doldrums. Even the Green Bay Packers win last night wore off before I got to work today. And I usually can ride that for an entire week!

The lowest point is when I opened my blog a week or so ago and found the Followers count DECREASED by 2. Even the Weekend Graphs couldn't keep 'em interested. I know I am sort of the odd man out among a largely writer and photography based following. I have great interest in both subjects but seriously lack the motivation to get serious. And while I thoroughly enjoy reading many of the writing tips that are offered on many of the sites I follow...I find myself staying not only out of the deep end but the pool entirely.

Now that my summer madness has begun to subside both in temperature and at work, I feel that now is the time to re-evaluate how I want to proceed. There are 468 days left according to the Mayan calendar on my side bar...I have blogged well in excess of that to this point (starting date: January 16th, 2010). It is the going forward I have to create.

This was understandably quite rambling but there it is.

For tonight, my Boston Terrier, Caesar, had a melanoma tumor removed from his lip today and is in need of my attention.

18 comments:

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

I haven't gotten the impression that you're tapped out of creativity or ideas, Chuck, though I understand the feeling. Plus, generally, the excitement about following and commenting seems to have decreased since some of us "ole timers" started. That's the sense I get anyway. I'm trying to say it's not you. That picture is proof you haven't lost your mojo.
xoRobyn

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Chuck, you need to find what excites YOU. If it's not fun, blogging becomes a chore - a job! Take time to re-evaluate if you need it, but dude, don't give up on us. I've enjoyed all of your quirky posts, from the serious to the graphs to the photos... Heck with those who left! They don't appreciate genius.

TS Hendrik said...

I understand feeling wore down. Right now I feel like I'm about out of gas in terms of blogging. But hey, I still read your posts. That's got to count for something, right? No? Fine.

On a plus, that picture of the baby in my dashboard reader made me laugh! Completely unexpected.

Manzanita said...

Well, that's another unique use of duct tape. In Montana all the young kids wear duct tape on their down-filled jackets so the feathers won't fall out of a rip.
Time .... a precious commodity. There's never enough and they're not making any more, either.
Manzanita@Wannabuyaduck

RaShelle Workman said...

Oh. My. Goodness. That pic is hilarious. Poor baby!
Hope you get out of your funk soon.

dirtycowgirl said...

Hey Chuck, hope your dog is on the mend.

You can turn me down if you want but I've included you in a blogger challenge - its on my blob :)

Badass Geek said...

Well, at least they didn't string the kid up like they did that toy duck.

Hope your dog is doing alright.

Esther Montgomery said...

Cheer up. Take heart. Maybe go a bit back to your roots and your wonderful and thoughtful essays?

Arlee Bird said...

You hit a wall? What about that baby? You can use duct tape to do anything I guess. I can understand those doldrums though. Sometimes I get blogged tired, but then manage to hash out something else. You deserve a rest now and then. Hey, wait! Wasnt' a trip to Fiji supposed to be like rest?

Lee
Tossing It Out

Eat To Live said...

Hmmmmm..... Duct Tape used to baby sit!! I wonder what kind of parents do this?

Stopping by from Manzy's blog. Wanna Buy A Duck.

Hope Caesar gets well soon.

Manzanita said...

Chuck, Sounds like you need a serious vacation. Stop at my blog. There is something for you.
Manzanita@Wannabuyaduck

Pat Tillett said...

First off, I dedicated a photo to you and your pups. It's an action shot of my friends B.T. Rudy. It will be part of today's post.

Followers are just like good blog posts. They come and they go. We ALL post stinkers from time to time, so don't let it bother you at all. This post is fine. I've never seen the photo before and I enjoyed it!

Copyboy said...

The decreases stings! I usually get that once they come to my blog and follow it and then realize that I'm insane. Usually it takes 1.5 posts. 3 tops.

Misha Gerrick said...

Awe don't worry about that. I lost about four, but I think it might have been another blogger error.

Hope your dog feels better soon!

D22 Zone said...

Love this blog post! A really interesting read! Followed!

Chuck said...

Robyn: I am sure I'm not tapped out and that thought keeps me going. The following and commenting are not really big ego things for me but they are kind of nice. That picture cracked me up again as I opened the page tonight. Thanks Robyn.

Alex: I have no plans to give up. Making 320 posts convinces me daily I can continue. Plus I have a seen several bloggers I have followed bow out for different reasons or take long breaks and I truly miss reading their posts. Thanks for your support.

TS: It counts for a lot really. Your's is one site I read daily even if I don't always comment, because I enjoy it. Thanks for the comment.

Manzanita: Just picturing kids running around with duct taped coats makes me laugh. You are so right about time...it moves so fast now. Thanks for stopping by.

RaShelle: I know people who might actually do that to a baby! I am working on de-funking daily. Thanks for the kind words.

Cowgirl: It was good news about the tumor on his lip and he is doing sportingly (that's an English term right?). I'll stop and check out the challenge but I hope I don't get eaten by your blob! I know you meant blog but I found it funny nevertheless. Thanks.

Geek: At least now you know one way to keep Baby Badass out of harms way! Just kidding...duct tape can't hold the BB. Caesar is doing great, thanks.

Esther: Consider me cheered up up...but what exactly were my "wonderful and thoughtful essays"? I didn't know I had ever done both in one sitting! Thanks for the encouragement!

Lee: Now THAT made me laugh! The trip to Fiji is sadly becoming a distant memory. Just three short months later. Trips like that shouldn't do that. You should be able to record a vacation and then re-experience it in a virtual way...sights and sounds. You know, like that Schwartzenegger movie I can't remember. Now there is an invention I could buy into! Taking the weekend off...maybe I'll work on that. Thanks Lee.

Candida: The kind of parents that have duct tape and a plan...and few scruples. Thanks for stopping by and come back whenever you like. I promise I will actually be posting stuff soon. Caesar is well and fighting with his younger sister constantly now. Stitches come out Monday.

Manzanita (2): I had a serious vacation back in June which if you missed the adventure you can catch the page at the top of the blog entitled Fiji Diary. Now I need a less serious vacation...or just a couple days off! I will stop by your blog as I LOVE surprises! Thanks for TWO COMMENTS on this post!! You the Duck!!

Pat: Buddy, I was so surprised to see that dedicated photo...I showed my wife and she just thought it was so funny. Bostons are soooo entertaining! Glad you liked WallBoy! Thanks for all the support you've been over the last couple years. It is appreciated every day.

Copyboy: Truth be told I suspect there are 20 or 30 that haven't read in a while. I have no proof but the serious contrast between me and them (sites that is) suggests this. I am cool with it. The ones that matter most is this group in this post. BTW I heard that it is actually 5 posts before they jump off the bridge. Just so you know.

Misha: I like that...Blogger error. I am feeling better already, since it could actually be true! Bastards! Caesar is back in true lunatic form. He gets all his toys back on Monday after the stitches come out so he and Cornelia will be seriously back at it then. Thanks, Misha.

D22 Zone: Well looky here...a sparkling new reader. Who says karma isn't real. Welcome. Not sure where you popped in from but I am glad you're here. Feel free to browse.

Shannon Lawrence said...

I'm behind on catching up on my comments and blog visiting, so I'm late to this, but I feel like this here and there, too. I wish I could stop even looking at the number of followers. I've had a few blogs move and shut down their old ones, so maybe they didn't lose interest, but their blog no longer exists? That's always a possibility.

I hope your pup heals quickly.

Chuck said...

Shannon: Thanks for stopping by and I totally get the "being behind" thing. I took Caesar back to the vet today to get the stitches out and he is good as new with a clean bill of health. A good way to start the week!

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails