Drunk Bird
You know, the further you go in life the less you "hear for the first time". However, this week, I heard for the first time about the cedar waxwings and their penchant for yaupon berries.
I have heard about apocalyptic signs like plagues of locust and toads raining out of the sky, but this was a first.
In Garland, TX (which is where I live believe it or not, for 20 years) we were subject to birds flying along and just falling out of the sky. Streets in some neighborhoods were littered with dead and dying cedar waxwings. One busy highway had birds falling out of the sky onto the windshields of fast moving cars. Nothing like that to get your heart pumping on the way to work.
Apparently the berries of the yaupon bush are too tempting for these birds migrating back to Canada and they cannot stop eating them. The fermenting berries actually make these birds drunk and they pass out while flying. All the dead birds were found with mouthfuls of these berries.
Heaven help us.
I have missed updating on the STM. Which means I missed both the 10,000 follower and 5,000,000 hit mark. So this is where he is today:
STM Update
10,078 Followers
5,137,833 Unique Visitors
A Today Show appearance...the gift that keeps on giving.
Until next time...if you are driving through north Texas during the next month, watch for birds falling from the sky.

No comments:
Post a Comment